Monday, April 28, 2008

Day at Work 3...

Part of my job entails visiting roadshows to ensure things run smoothly...

Golden Mile
I tell you, this "Little Thailand" is actually a very interesting place to spend an afternoon at. You'll see all sorts of interesting stuffs you probably wun find anywhere else in Singapore... just keep your eyes sharp and "treasures" are abundant.

Can recognise this fella? He's hired to be the emcee at Golden Mile; you'll find him there every sunday, speaking Thai like nobody's business.

What that in my hand? Its a LG-KG271 handphone. Got it at a pretty sick price, no contract and anything. No camera lah~ only phone & sms; no frills phone ideal for army camp. Got it for my mum cuz she's still using an old Nokia phone with no colour.

Little India Arts Belt
(I have no idea how "Arts" come to be associated with Little India; I think "Cultural Belt" sounds more accurate...)

Zaman Centre is one of the few hotspots I will visit; here's the scene at 4:00pm...

Strolling along Kampong Kapor's streets, I chanced upon this little operation here near Clive Street... this group of people are busy dismantling lotsa equipment... smashing, ripping, cutting, tearing, unscrewing... I stood and watched for a while (they were so engrossed so they didn't notice my presence)...

...their dress-style looked China... and they were filtering out all the copper they can get from the old equipments... unsorted scrap-copper is worth approx. $6.50/KG as of 27th April '08. For updated prices on scrap metal, visit http://scrapmetalpricesandauctions.com/asia/

Weld Road (aka. Kek Tsng Kio)... is also a little interesting hunt along Jalan Besar... its about 5:30pm and this place is darn hot! Haven been here for a while already~

but the heat doesn't deter these fella from selling their wares... and these treasure-hunters

you'll find LAPTOPS even! I looked at the specs, pretty decent!Streets and streets of very interesting stuffs! Too bad I am low on cash already, or I would have bought an old map home...
didn't managed to cover all the stores... time to head back where I came from, collect my car, and be home in time for dinner~

Next week, gonna cover this side of the Kek Tsng Kio, and have a bowl of the famous 结霜桥 Laksa at the other end at Townshend Road...

Back at Zaman Centre... the scene here is 6:00pm... scary, no? I feel like a little white lamb there... I stood out... apparently... Oh, if you happened to be at Zaman Centre, be sure to head over the the left side of the building and try this local delicacy (yea rite...); only @ S$1.00. I bought one at S$2.00 before, and the quantity is exactly that of S$1.00. some crunchy rice-crackers, mixed with tomatoes, lettuces, nuts, beans, gravy, and misc other stuffs... see that blue pail there? Thats where the chef mixes the ingredients...

*Oh, by the way, on my way back towards the Zaman Centre area... I passed by Rowell Rd's HDB cluster and noticed some rather "vice-activity" looming in the area; not the "desker road" type, but more of the Geylang type... gonna confirm this next week, hopefully can snap some pictures...

as far as I am concern, its not safe in that area...

No comments: