Thursday, July 30, 2009

2D1N Trip to Johor Bahru

2D1N Trip to Johor Bahru

18 July 2009
Was pretty sick of the boring same old Singapore, so I've ventured over to JB...
First stop was the all famous Holiday Plaza~
Holiday Plaza is ideal for food, snacks, hair salons, tailored suits and evening gowns, and of course all the pirated DVDs / Computer softwares... kekeke
Definitely must stop over this shop to stock up on all those Malaysian Snacks that are so hard to find in Singapore! Especially the Fried Fish Satay, the Chicken Biscuits, and the many varieties of 3-in-1 Coffee powder.
I made a booking through the AGODA website for Dorsett Hotel Johor... located at
Lot 101375 Jalan Masai Lama Mukim Plentong, 81750 Johor Bahru, Malaysia.

Its ideal to have accomodation arranged for, so I dun have to travel back to Singapore on the day itself and struggle my way back through the customs during the peak hours with all my shopping bags...

Let me tell you, I am VERY impressed with Dorsett Hotel in terms of its quality versus the amount of money I paid through AGODA.com.
I paid only $60/night for a Standard Double room in this 4-Star hotel.
Comfortable level : 4.5 Stars out of 5 Stars.
If you were to book at an even earlier date ahead, you could be paying for as low as only S$39/night! 4-Stars hotel! Dun play play!
The hotel's restuarant...My very comforatable bed~ (oh, one thing I must point out, the room has carpeted floor... which I think is hard to come by, considering the amount paid... )
...with a 25" LCD TV mounted in front of the bed~... with a balcony view of Tesco from afar... well I can't be bother with the balcony, but I was just glad that I have one. keke... ... the dressing table with a very nice looking computer chair...
A pretty neat shower room and an awesome sunflower water spray overhead! I just have to turn on the water and activate the overhead spray and I can enjoy a rain-shower~! Damn cool!
Next stop - Terbau City Jusco~ I was told this is a Singaporean's Paradise... I cannot agree more! This place is mega sized... and things are so affordable!
Lunch time at a Thai Restaurant on the top floors of Jusco Terbau City.
I was kinda famished, so I forgotten to take photos before I attacked the food... this noodle is a must-try. Pineapple Fried Rice...
Signature BBQ chicken wings...
Tom Yum Soup~
Done with lunch and shopping continues...Was there with my darling~
Do drop by Thai Odyssey for a massage if you have time, a 2-hour Traditional Thai Massage only cost RM 98... thats almost just S$45.00... damn affordable. There's an outlet in City Square too, but I think its slightly more expensive, if my memories didn't fail me...
the top floors of Jusco Terbau City is lined with my restaurants...
Gonna try this restaurant next time...
Next stop - Megah Ria Orang Asli Restaurant Todak. Also called 旗鱼海番村.
This seafood restaurant is a little kelong-style and overlooks the coast facing Singapore's Sembawang side...
Prices are very transparent and affordable...
Just look at the dining crowd that evening...
Fishes are fresh... seasonal priced...
We ordered Chilli Crab... x 02 pcs
Black Peppered Crab... x 02 pcs
Fried Buns (half dozens)...
Cereal Prawns...
Before...
After... Total bill : RM 85.00 Yes, I repeat, RM85.00. Approx. S$40.00 only.
Had our photos taken by a hilarious couple...
If there is anything I could whine about this place, it is the fact that Restaurant Todak is only accessible by personal transport... the place is quite off-the-road that you dun see Taxis coming in... Not to fear... Call this number : 073559922 to book a cab. Nevermind if you can't speak Melayu, because this taxi calling-station is manned by an all Chinese-taxi clan. So you'll definitely get a Chinese Taxi driver.

One thing to note: The station will get your phone number (its alrite to give a Singaporean number), and then hang up without providing you a Taxi number. Wait for a while and they'll call you back. 19 July 2009
Back at Dorsett Hotel... breakfast the next morning. If there is one thing I can complaint about Dorsett Hotel... its their VERY SLOW cooking staff... this girl makes Roti Prata (or Roti Chenai if its more familiar to you) one-at-a-time... I had to go the the station for my eggs and roti prata 4 times before I could get my plates filled...
Breakfast wasn't that fantastic... but it gets the stomach filled...
There is a swimming pool alrite... but its not exactly located in the premise of Dorsett Hotel. The hotel shares this swimming pool with the private residence beside... whoever fancies a swim can just walk over.
One last thumbs up to Dorsett Hotel - free morning newspaper

Oh, and for the record, here are the taxi fares:
City Square - Holiday Plaza = Rm 7.00
Holiday Plaza - Dorsett Hotel = Rm 17.00
Dorsett Hotel - Terbau City Jusco = Rm 10.00
Terbau City Jusco - Restaurant Todak = Rm 25.00
Restaurant Todak - Dorsett Hotel = Rm 20.00
Dorsett Hotel - City Square = Rm 20.00

Total Taxi Fares = Rm 99.00

2 comments:

p. said...

Hi, I am trying to plan a 2D1N johor trip... just wanted to find out, how did u get to the hotel in johor? did u buy a coach ticket or u took the public bus into malaysia? Thanks!! :)

[Q] said...

Hi P!

Apologies for responding so~ very late. Been in-active on this blog due to work commitments.

I got to the hotel via Taxi. Simply hop onto one and give them the address. Another tip though: If you'd actually prefer Chinese Taxi drivers, I suggest you ring this number: (+60) 073559922 to the station to book for the Taxi.

The Dorsett hotel is in Masai area.

Anyways, I drive my way to the hotel nowadays, having gotten more familiar with my way inside there...

Hope I answered your queries.