Saturday, September 13, 2008

Driving: The responsibilities of a driver 3

Driving: The responsibilities of a driver 3
Original post from Sankaku Complex:

Direct quote:
Tokyo, Japan
A young lady (19), just learning to drive, drove through Matsue City at breakneck speeds, soon crashing her ride into a streetlight at high speed in truly spectacular fashion, tearing the SUV in half and killing the three back seat passengers who unwisely let her take them for a spin, we hear. She was only lightly injured, as was the fortunate young man who sat beside her.

The three passengers killed were acquaintances of the driver, as was the surviving passenger, and the three soon died after being taken to hospital (looking at the state of the rear half it seems they had no chance at all).

The car in question was apparently a 2002 Mitsubishi AirTrek, a sturdy enough vehicle, so it is all the more impressive how badly it was totalled by her death defying/inducing driving.
Despite being a learner driver, with only a provisional licence, she was not displaying learner plates, and on top of this driving four other people around at high speed through central Tokyo is also not behaviour generally considered appropriate to learners; police are already looking at charges of involuntary vehicular manslaughter. She will doubtless have many difficult questions to answer when she is released from hospital.

Let us pray the girl has never so much as laid eyes on a copy of GTA in her life…

Q: Haiz... yet another case of motor mishap due to negligence - from families, victims, and protagonist. In such accidents, I wun just subject the blame onto one person (the driver). Many parties ought to be blamed in fact - the family who allow the easy access of the car to the driver; the driver who has not sense of responsibility; and the victims who let the driver take them for a ride and who did not buckled up.

Recent case in Singapore was that of a 15 yr old boy who drove out his family car - a blue Toyota Vios (if I recalled correctly) - and crashed into a tree along Bedok Road, instantly killed (damn, I hope the tree was alright...).

Let me say this: "Driving a car is easy. Its even easier driving an auto-transmission car. Its the driving on the road that is difficult".

It reminded me of a recent incident involving my sister. She stole my brother's car keys to his Hyundai Avante (while he's away overseas) and went out practising with another friend. If I hadn't noticed the car in another parking lot, I wouldn't have found out. It was only upon questioning did my sister admit to it. Although my sister passed her driving test recently (with 18 upon 21 points to failing under her belt), she hasn't received the green light from my family yet (she still needs to drive under supervision due to lack of experience). I promptly demanded her friend's contact number and gave him a piece of my mind over the phone (I can be scarely when I am angry...).

My last message to car-owners out there: "Please safe-keep your car keys, dun let it fall into the hands of inexperienced drivers..." (trees and street lamp could get damaged...)

No comments: